Records of the CSU Women's Association
Scope and Contents
Records of the CSU Women's Association consists of documents dated 1964 to 2022, with the bulk falling from 1980 to 2018. The collection documents the history of the association, primarily from the 1970s through the 2010s. The fundraising and social activities of the organization the most prominent topics. Materials include association histories, information concerning scholarships, social events, and fundraisers, administrative records, newsletters, yearbooks and directories, scrapbooks, and a poster.
- Creation: 1964-2022
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1980-2018
Restrictions on Access
Due to the presence of protected and personally identifiable information in some of the files, review of folders designated "RESTRICTED" must occur before access is granted. Items are stored off-site, so advance notice is required.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
Formed in 1910 as the Colorado Agricultural College Woman's Association, the Colorado State University Women's Association is an educational, service, and social organization. Initially created to provide social interaction among wives of faculty members, the organization now is open to anyone with an interest in Colorado State University, and its primary focus is supporting the CSUWA's scholarship program.
Little is known about the first decade of the Colorado State University Women's Association. It came together in 1910 as a social group for faculty member's wives. Elizabeth Coy Lawrence, the first woman to graduate from Colorado Agricultural College, served as the organization's first president from 1912 to 1913. Carrie Lory, wife of CAC President Charles A. Lory, served as the association's second president from 1913 to 1914, and she provided the impetus to formalize the organization. The Women's Association wrote bylaws in 1922, and under Carrie Lory's direction they voted to establish a Girls' Loan Fund in May 1925. A Boys' Loan Fund was later established, and in 1935, the two were integrated into the Women's Association Loan Fund. Lory chaired the fund for more than 20 years, and in 1941, it was renamed the Carrie R. Lory Loan Fund. In 1942, the Women's Association turned over administrative loan tasks to the Colorado State College Business Office, and eventually CSUWA loan and scholarship funds were administered by the CSU Foundation.
The Colorado State University Women's Association has selected scholarship recipients from associated named funds since 1924. In 1978, it gave the first CSUWA $250 scholarship, and scholarships rather than loans soon became the focus of the association. The CSUWA now awards more than 20 scholarships every year, and the organization has given more than $500,000 in scholarships to date. Fundraising efforts over the years have included bridge parties and sales of apples, candy, cookbooks, and greeting cards.
The CSUWA has also contributed support to many other Colorado State University projects and funds. Historically, CSU Libraries received much of that support. In 1957, the association temporarily halted contributions to the Carrie R. Lory Loan Fund to support "Bucks for Books," and annual contributions to library funds such as the Lilla B. Morgan Library Fund continued through the second half of the twentieth century. The CSUWA is probably best known for its annual blood drive, which began in 1971 with the establishment of a campus blood bank. The CSUWA currently raises funds for the CSU Foundation.
Since its inception as a social club for faculty wives, social events and service groups have been an important part of the Colorado State University Women's Association. An official Program Committee was added in 1933. Interest groups were formed in 1966, and as the university grew and membership criteria were expanded over the years, CSUWA members have joined more than 50 groups with focuses such as Western American literature, creative cards, gardening, gourmet cooking, quilting, skiing, bird watching, and travel.
13.5 linear feet (9 record storage boxes, 1 poster)
Language of Materials
Formed in 1910 as the Colorado Agricultural College Woman's Association, the Colorado State University Women's Association is an educational, service, and social organization. Since 1925, it has provided loans and scholarships to CSU students and contributed to several CSU funds. The collection documents the history of the CSU Women's Association, primarily from the 1970s through the 2010s. The fundraising and social activities of the organization the most prominent topics. Materials include association histories, information concerning scholarships, social events, and fundraisers, administrative records, newsletters, yearbooks and directories, scrapbooks, and a poster.
Contents remain arranged as found.
The collection consists of nine boxes, one poster, and three digital accretions.
Records of the CSU Women's Association was donated by Linda Paule on behalf of the CSU Women's Association in 2019 in three different accessions: 2019023, 2019037, 2019043. In November 2022, three accretions to the collection from Lynn Caldwell on behalf of the CSU Women's Association were added.
This collection has not been processed.
Note: This collection inventory is preliminary.
- Guide to the Records of the CSU Women's Association
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Clarissa J. Trapp; revised by Victoria Lopez-Terrill
- Copyright 2021, 2022
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA