Records of the Colorado State University School of Education
Scope and Contents
The Records of the Colorado State University School of Education consists of documents dated 1917 to 2012, with the bulk falling from 1980 to 2012. Records from the School of Education and clubs and fraternities (Trade and Industrial Club; Vocational and Industrial Clubs of America; Alpha Tau Alpha; and Iota Lambda Sigma) comprise the collection and include papers, scrapbooks, photographs, negatives, slides, one floppy disk of photographs, videotapes, textiles, and ephemera.
- Creation: 1917-2012
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1980-2012
- Colorado State University. School of Education (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection. However, it is stored off-site, so advance notice is required.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
In 1915, the State Board of Agriculture of Colorado Agricultural College (CAC) established a Department of Rural and Industrial Education to address the fact that many graduates became public school teachers, specializing in vocational fields such as agriculture and home economics. Courses related to teacher training had been offered by the College prior to this time but were piecemeal efforts and did not constitute a cohesive program. The new department was designed to eliminate this undesirable distinction by enabling its students to obtain certification.
In 1917, federal funding was introduced following the passage of the Smith-Hughes Act, which brought funding from the federal government to meet the expenses of vocational instruction in public schools and training of teachers of vocational subjects. With the increase in funding, the functions of the department expanded and the department became the Department of Rural and Vocational Education in 1920. In 1932, teaching became a full-fledged major under that department.
In 1941, after an unsuccessful attempt by State Director of Vocational Education, Harry Tiemann, to elevate the Department of Rural and Vocational Education to the status of an academic division, the renamed Department of Vocational Education was placed in an administrative category occupied by the Library and the Departments of Music and Military Science and Tactics.
In 1947, a new department, Psychology and Education, was established. Education became separate from Psychology in 1964, and by 1971 was a department in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. In 1975, Education became one of the departments under the newly established College of Professional Studies.
In 1986, two colleges, Human Resource Sciences and Professional Studies, were merged into a new College of Applied Human Sciences. At this time the Department of Education and the Department of Vocational Education were combined into the School of Occupational and Educational Studies (SOES) within the college. In 1996, the School of Occupational and Educational Studies became the School of Education.
12.5 linear feet (8 record cartons, 1 film case)
Language of Materials
The School of Education at Colorado State University offers courses of study in teaching and learning; organizational learning, performance, and change; and higher education leadership and counseling. The school offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Records in the collection include papers, scrapbooks, photographs, negatives, slides, one floppy disk of photographs, videotapes, textiles, and ephemera. In addition to education files, club and fraternity records are in the collection.
The collection consists of 6 series in 8 record cartons and 1 film case:
Series 1: School of Education subject files, 1980-2012 and undated
Series 2: Clubs and fraternities, 1917-1989 and undated
Subseries 2.1: T & I Club, 1917, 1942-1984, and undated
Subseries 2.2: Alpha Tau Alpha, 1995-1996 and undated
Subseries 2.3: Iota Lambda Sigma, 1932-1981 and undated
Subseries 2.4: VICA, 1988-1989
Series 3: Scrapbooks, 1977-1978 and 1988-1989
Series 4: Photographs, negatives, and slides, 1975, 1995, and undated
Series 5: Videotapes, undated
Series 6: Artifacts, undated
The Records of the Colorado State University School of Education was transferred to University Archives by Don Quick in November and December 2007. Additional records were transferred to University Archives by Heidi Propp in August 2016.
Processing was completed in May 2017. Student records containing grades and/or social security numbers were removed from the collection, as were club bankbooks, an untitled motion picture film, and nondescript club ephemera. Publications and videotapes unrelated to the School were also removed from the collection. Binders were left intact and housed with other records in acid-free boxes, and papers previously organized remained in their original folders. All other records were rehoused in acid-free folders, including loose photographs that were originally housed in oversized envelopes and one floppy disk. Metal fasteners were replaced with plastic fasteners when warranted. Two folders of material from 1977 were added in December 2019.
- Guide to the Records of the Colorado State University School of Education
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Victoria Lopez-Terrill; revised by Clarissa J. Trapp
- Copyright 2017
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA