Records of the Department of Communications Disorders
Scope and Contents
The Records of the Department of Communications Disorders consists of documents dated 1957 to 1995, with the bulk falling from 1962 to 1967. The collection includes departmental histories and annual reports, brochures, lists of students, and slides.
- Creation: 1957-1995
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1962-1967
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
Colorado A & M (now Colorado State University) first offered a course in speech disorders in the Department of Psychology and Education for the 1953-1954 academic year. This coincided with the development of the bachelor of arts degree in speech arts. A speech therapy major was first offered in 1959, which was "designed to prepare the student both academically and clinically to meet state and national requirements for certified speech therapists." Speech therapy courses were offered under the speech designation within the Department of English. William Leith was hired as an assistant professor to develop the speech therapy major. In 1962, the name of the major was changed to speech pathology and the first graduate students were enrolled. The Department of Hearing and Speech Science was established in 1964.
A clinic for speech and hearing disorders was established on campus in the late 1950s, staffed by faculty from the speech therapy major; later expanding in size and employing students from the department as well as faculty and clinicians. In 1964, the new Speech and Hearing Clinic and Laboratories opened, for the first time giving the clinic its own building on campus. Previously, the clinic had space in the engineering building, Braiden Hall, and South Hall. Outpatient services in diagnostic and rehabilitation of speech and hearing disorders were offered. The building also provided research laboratories for faculty, students, and staff.
In 1975, the department moved from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences to the College of Professional Studies. The name of the department was changed from Hearing and Speech Science to Communication Disorders in 1977. In 1991, the administration of Colorado State University decided to close the department. All students currently enrolled were allowed to finish the program, with the last students graduating in spring 1995.
0.25 linear feet (1 document case)
Language of Materials
The Records of the Department of Communications Disorders documents the department at Colorado State University from its founding in 1964 to its closing in 1995. Materials include histories, reports, manuals, and slides.
The collection consists of 1 series in 1 document case:
Series 1: Departmental records, 1957-1995 and undated
The Records of the Department of Communications Disorders was transferred from the Department of Communications Disorders in 1995.
Processing was completed in July 2015. Materials were rehoused in acid-free folders and an archival box.
- Guide to the Records of the Department of Communication Disorders
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Sarah Lillis and Karen Spilman
- Copyright 2015
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA