Records of the Godfrey Ditch Company
Scope and Contents
The Records of the Godfrey Ditch Company consists of documents dated 1870 to 1996. Most significant are the minute books, which span the years 1870 to 1986 and record the business conducted at the annual stockholder and special meetings. Also included are account ledgers and stock registers, as well as some legal documents and historical information.
- Godfrey Ditch Company (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
One of the many ditch companies founded to make the lands of the Colorado Territory productive by moving water, the Section No. 3 Ditch Company was incorporated in March 1870 in Weld County. Specifically, the company's ditch "has its headgate in the South Platte River in the southeast quarter of section 3, township 4 north, range 66 west, and extends thence in a northeasterly direction." The company constructed its ditch to divert water for agriculture, milling and dairying purposes. Its founding officers were Lewis Allen, Allen R. Godfrey, and Charles E. Miller.
In 1910, the Section No. 3 Ditch Company was reincorporated as the Godfrey Ditch Company, at which time its shares of stock increased from 20 to 160. The officers elected upon reincorporation were Walter T. Sylvester, C. B. Norris, and B. K. Hanbury. Within a few years, the company became a member of the Consolidated Ditches Company. In the 1980s, as litigation relating to a 1940 contract with Denver related to use of South Platte River water began, the company decided not to rejoin Consolidated.
0.75 linear feet (2 document boxes)
Language of Materials
The Section No. 3 Ditch Company was incorporated in March 1870 in Weld County. The company constructed its ditch to divert water from the South Platte River for agriculture, milling and dairying purposes. In 1910, it was reincorporated as the Godfrey Ditch Company. The collection contains the minute books of both companies, which span 1870 to 1986. Also included are account ledgers and stock registers, as well as some legal documents and historical information. A portion of the collection is digitized and online.
Materials in the collection were arranged as two series in two boxes:
Series 1: Bound volumes, 1870-1996 and undated
Series 2: Papers, 1976-1995
The Records of the Godfrey Ditch Company was donated to the Water Resources Archive in March 2006 by the current officers of the company, Charles W. Sylvester, Jr., Glenn Werning, and Jerry L. Loeffler.
The minute books have been scanned and are available on the Water Resources Archive website. In the electronic version of this document, they appear as links in context. Note that blank pages were not scanned.
Processing was completed in November 2006. Materials were inserted in acid-free folders and stored in acid-free boxes. Metal fasteners were removed and replaced with plastic clips.
Note: Estimated pagination is preceded by an "e."
- Guide to the Records of the Godfrey Ditch Company
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Patricia J. Rettig
- Copyright 2006; 2008
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA