Records of the Department of Philosophy
Scope and Contents
The Records of the Department of Philosophy consists of documents dated 1957 to 1975, with the bulk falling from 1960 to 1975. The collection contains reports, course information, and minutes of department meetings. There is also information about faculty members that worked in the department but any confidential material, such as student grades, has been removed.
- 1957 - 1975
- Majority of material found in 1960 - 1975
- Department of Philosophy (Person)
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
The first philosophy classes taught at CSU were led by Willard Eddy during the late 1940s. James Boyd, an Asian Specialist in the Philosophy department collaborated with Loren Crabtree to develop an interdisciplinary Asian Studies Program that they taught jointly. In 1979, they obtained a Fulbright grant to take 16 CSU faculty members to India for 6 weeks to study the culture and then develop support for international education. In the 1980s, they developed a summer institute to assist high school students and enabling development. Holms Rolston joined the Philosophy department in 1968, to teach environmental ethics and went on to be influential in his field. The department offices have been in the Eddy hall basement. In 1997, the flood that devastated campus destroyed the offices and much of the material housed there. During the construction and renovation of Eddy in 2015, the department was housed in Ingersoll Hall.
1.75 linear feet
Language of Materials
The first philosophy classes taught at CSU were led by Willard Eddy during the late 1940s. The collection contains reports, course information, and minutes of department meetings. There is also information about faculty members who worked in the department.
The collection consists of 2 series in 2 boxes:
Series 1: Department information, 1958-1975 and undated
Series 2: Faculty information, 1957-1975
The Records of the Department of Philosophy was transferred from the Philosophy Department in 1977. Additional materials were donated by Willard O. Eddy in 1991.
The collection was previously processed by Nichole Galloway in 1996. At this time information was organized and alphabetized. This order was maintained in the most recent processing when materials were rehoused in acid free folders and boxes. Grades were removed in 1996 and shredded.
- Guide to the Records of the Department of Philosophy
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Sarah Lillis
- Copyright 2015
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA