Pingree Park History Collection
Scope and Contents
The Pingree Park History Collection consists of documents gathered and created between 1994 and 1997 with the bulk falling from 1994 to 1995. Linda Wardlow gathered this collection in order to write a history of the Pingree Park Campus (now CSU Mountain Campus) for HY497 - The History of Colorado State University. Subjects covered are the history of homesteading and Colorado State University's activities in the area. Materials include Wardlow's final paper, transcripts of oral histories by homesteaders and campus staff gathered between 1974 and 1995, copies of land records and State Board of Agriculture meeting minutes related to the acquisition and administration of Pingree Park Campus, photographs, slides, and artifacts collected after the 1994 forest fire in the park.
- Majority of material found in 1994-1995
- Wardlow, Linda A. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Due to the presence of student information, some files require review before research access is granted. Access to student information is open only to the student in question and to Colorado State University employees; however, access to others will be granted upon having written consent from the student or providing written proof that the student is deceased.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
Since 1912, Colorado State University has used Pingree Park (now CSU Mountain Campus) for field research and training. The campus has primarily served CSU's Forestry students, though other university departments now use it.
On June 25, 1910, an Act of Congress granted the State of Colorado the right to purchase 1,600 acres of public land for $1.25 per acre for use by the Colorado Agricultural College for "experimental, educational, and kindred uses in forestry, agriculture, horticulture, grazing, stock raising, and such other uses." In 1912, CAC President Charles A. Lory, N. M. Wheeler, B. O. Longyear, A. A. Edwards, and E. M. Ammons selected land in and around Pingree Valley in the Mummy Range for that purpose. The college set up camp in the valley, which was named for logger and Sand Creek Massacre participant George Pingree, and steadily added infrastructure to house Forestry Department students and staff over the course of several decades. The camp soon became known as Pingree Park Campus. During this time, the college found itself in conflict with the Koenig family, who also inhabited Pingree Park, over the boundaries of the Koenig's property. The boundary conflict was finally resolved in 1949, though other disputes with the Koenigs continuted through the 1980s. In the 1970s, CSU began a concerted, successful effort to make Pingree Park Campus attractive to a wider audience. Buildings were remodeled and a conference center was built. While used by CSU, the campus endured several natural disasters, including the 1994 Hourglass Fire that destroyed thirteen buildings. In 2015, CSU renamed the campus CSU Mountain Campus, seeking to separate the university from the legacy of George Pingree.
1.5 linear feet (1 record carton)
Language of Materials
Since 1912, Colorado State University has used Pingree Park (now CSU Mountain Campus), located in the Pingree Valley in the Mummy Range, for field research and training, especially by CSU's Forestry Department. This collection contains the materials collected by Linda Wardlow in 1995 and used to write a history of the campus. Materials include Wardlow's final paper, transcripts of oral histories by homesteaders and campus staff, land records and State Board of Agriculture meeting minutes, photographs, slides, and artifacts collected after the 1994 forest fire in the park.
The collection consists of 1 series in 1 record carton.
Series 1: Pingree Park history records
Pingree Park History Collection was found with to the Papers of James E. Hansen. After determining that the materials did not belong with the Hansen papers and after contacting Linda Wardlow, Archives staff accessioned the collection in October 2018.
In July 2018, two cassette tapes containing the 1995 oral history interview Linda Wardlow conducted with Bill Bertschy were transferred to the Oral History Tapes collection in the University Archives.
As of October 2018, processing has not been completed.
Note: Box contents listed below.
- Pingree Park History Collection
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Clarissa J. Trapp
- Copyright 2018.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA