Skip to main content

Records of the Institute of Environmental Biology

 Collection
Identifier: UIEB

Scope and Contents

The Records of the Institute of Environmental Biology consists of documents dated 1960 to 1961. Materials document the planning and founding of the institute, and include copies of the constitution, meeting minutes, memos, notes, and a membership list.

Dates

  • 1960-1961

Creator

Restrictions on Access

There are no access restrictions on this collection.

Restrictions on Use

Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.

History

In early 1960, a committee was formed at Colorado State University (CSU), led by Professor Robert M. Johnson, to investigate the need for a campus-wide institute focused on environmental biology. The committee was tasked to prepare a tentative constitution, objectives, and scope of purpose. The drafted constitution was put before a vote of the State Board of Agriculture, which approved the constitution to establish the Institute of Environmental Biology on June 16, 1960.

The Institute of Environmental Biology was to serve as a non-administrative body in a coordinating and advisory capacity to member departments and agencies interested in environmental biology to stimulate a broad and integrated program of teaching and research; and to serve in a coordinating and advisory capacity to University officials, the Curriculum Committee, and other committees relative to the establishment and coordination of proposed programs in environmental biology. It also sponsored scientific functions, promoted financial assistance for graduate students, and facilitated individual staff research and inter-departmental research. Membership to the institute was by individual, not by department, and any staff member whose teaching or research responsibilities and interests include direct emphasis on environmental biology was able to join.

Extent

0.25 linear feet (1 document case)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Institute of Environmental Biology was formed at Colorado State University in 1960 to serve as a non-administrative body in a coordinating and advisory capacity to member departments and agencies interested in environmental biology to stimulate a broad and integrated program of teaching and research. Materials include meeting minutes, memos, and copies of the founding constitution.

Arrangement

The collection consists of 1 series in 1 document case:

Series 1: Records, 1960-1961 and undated

Acquisition

The acquisition of the Records of the Institute of Environmental Biology is unknown.

Processing

Processing was completed in November 2015. Materials were rehoused in acid-free folders and an archival box.

Title
Guide to the Records of the Institute of Environmental Biology
Status
Edited Full Draft
Author
Prepared by Karen Spilman
Date
Copyright 2015
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA
970-491-1844