Records of the University Library Expansion
Scope and Contents
The Records of the University Library Expansion consist of documents dated 1991 to 2002, with the bulk falling from 1992 to 1998. The collection includes correspondence, reports, catalogues, plans, schedules, and publications regarding the renovation and expansion of Morgan Library.
- Majority of material found within 1992-1998
- Colorado State University. Libraries (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection. However, it is stored off-site, so advance notice is required.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
Colorado Agricultural College (now Colorado State University) established a college library soon after opening. A room in the main building was set aside and funding from the State Board of Agriculture and student fees were used to purchase magazines, newspapers, reports from land-grant colleges, and technical bulletins in the agricultural sciences. In March 1880, the faculty authorized the hiring of a librarian to oversee the collection.
As the campus grew and new schools, departments, and programs were established, library holdings expanded. Branch libraries were established and the main library was moved from Old Main in 1905. In 1928 a new building, now called the TILT building, was constructed to house the library. In 1964, the branch libraries and main library were centralized in the newly constructed William E. Morgan Library. Morgan Library has continued to grow, with a new addition and major renovation in 1998, and a second renovation in 2011.
5 linear feet (3 record cartons, 1 document case)
Language of Materials
The main library of Colorado State University, the Morgan Library, underwent a major reconstruction and addition that opened in 1998. The collection documents this expansion and renovation project, and includes correspondence, reports, catalogues, plans, schedules, and publications.
The collection consists of 1 series in 3 record cartons and 1 document case:
Series 1: Records of renovation and expansion, 1991-2002 and undated
The Records of the University Library Expansion was acquired from Brian Gilbert and Halcyon Enssle.
Five blueprints were removed from the collection to be incorporated into the Records of Facilities Management.
Processing was completed in June 2015. The folders were primarily alphabetized and a rough inventory was created prior to donation that included only some of the boxes and was not complete or comprehensive. Materials were rehoused in acid-free folders and boxes. Paperclips and other easily removed metal fasteners were removed.
- Guide to the Records of the University Library Expansion
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Sarah Lillis
- Copyright 2015
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA