Colorado State University Mountain Campus Museum Collection
Scope and Contents
The Colorado State University Mountain Campus Collection consists of material dated 1888 to 2018. Topics concern the history of activities at the Mountain Campus, including course materials, student staff and participants, the 1994 Hourglass Fire, and the history of the region. Histories of early settlers, staff, and nearby residents and are both written and recorded. Material types include documents, newspapers, books, photographs, slides, glass plate negatives, artifacts, audiocassettes, compact disks, videotapes, and a flash drive. Of special note are three reel to reel films of the Mountain Campus in 1966. Items that have been digitized are available in Mountain Scholar.
- Creation: 1888-2018
- Colorado State University. Mountain Campus Museum (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
The Mountain Campus Museum is housed in the original Koenig homestead cabin at the Mountain Campus, which was constructed in 1915. It opened following renovations made possible through the State Historical Fund in the mid-1990s. Until his retirement in 2020, Rex Kroemer was the curator of the museum and was responsible for collecting most of the artifacts. The museum remains in operation and houses many items donated by the Koenig family or purchased at a Koenig estate sale as well as artifacts from the Mountain Campus itself.
Since 1912, Colorado State University has used the Mountain Campus (formerly Pingree Park) for field research and training. The campus has primarily served CSU's Forestry students, though other university departments now use it.
On June 25, 1910, an Act of Congress granted the State of Colorado the right to purchase 1,600 acres of public land for $1.25 per acre for use by the Colorado Agricultural College (CAC) for "experimental, educational, and kindred uses in forestry, agriculture, horticulture, grazing, stock raising, and such other uses." In 1912, CAC President Charles A. Lory, N. M. Wheeler, B. O. Longyear, A. A. Edwards, and E. M. Ammons selected land in and around Pingree Valley in the Mummy Range for that purpose. The college set up camp in the valley, which was named for logger and Sand Creek Massacre participant George Pingree, and steadily added infrastructure to house Forestry Department students and staff over the course of several decades. The camp soon became known as Pingree Park Campus. During this time, the college found itself in conflict with the Koenig family, who also inhabited Pingree Park, over the boundaries of the Koenig's property. The boundary conflict was finally resolved in 1949, though other disputes with the Koenigs continuted through the 1980s. In the 1970s, CSU began a concerted, successful effort to make the Pingree Park Campus attractive to a wider audience. Buildings were remodeled and a conference center was built. While used by CSU, the campus endured several natural disasters, including the 1994 Hourglass Fire that destroyed thirteen buildings. In 2015, CSU renamed the campus CSU Mountain Campus, seeking to separate the university from the legacy of George Pingree.
15.5+ linear feet (9 record cartons, 1 oversize box, artifacts)
Language of Materials
The Mountain Campus Museum is housed in the original Koenig homestead cabin at the Mountain Campus. Since 1912, Colorado State University has used the Mountain Campus (formerly Pingree Park) for field research and training. The campus has primarily served CSU's Forestry students, though other university departments now use it. The museum remains in operation but some materials were transferred to the University Archive's Colorado State University Mountain Campus Museum Collection. The collection consists of documents, newspapers and clippings, books, photographs, slides, glass plate negatives, artifacts, films, audiocassettes, compact disks, videotapes, and a flash drive. Online items in the collection can be found in Mountain Scholar.
The collection consists of one series in nine record cartons, one oversize box, and artifacts on flat shelves.
The Colorado State University Mountain Campus Museum Collection was donated by Rex Kroemer, curator of the museum, in December 2020, May 2021, and September 2021. While the museum is still operating, these artifacts and papers were moved to the Archives for security and preservation purposes.
The collection was rehoused in archival containers with the exception of one oversize box housing topographic maps. Papers, loose items, and binders retain their original folders and order although framed photographs and drawings have been housed together in separate record cartons or housed on flat shelves.
Note: Box summaries of contents for boxes are listed below.
- Colorado State University Mountain Campus Museum Collection
- Prepared by Victoria Lopez-Terrill
- Copyright 2021; revised 2022
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- 2021 October 28: Accrual of mostly ephemera added.
- 2021 November 4: September accrual added. Abstract added.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA