Records of the Alpha Chi Omega Sorority
Scope and Contents
Records of the Alpha Chi Omega Sorority consists of documents dated 1966-1999, with the bulk falling from 1982-1999. The collection consists primarily of Delta Upsilon chapter's composites and scrapbooks, though other photographs, certificates, and plaques are also present. Scrapbooks and composites have been photographed and exist in digital format only. Scrapbooks are organized by school year and document pledges, seniors, and social events. Records of chapter business are not present.
- Majority of material found in 1982-1999
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
Alpha Chi Omega was founded on October 15, 1885, at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, when Professor James Hamilton Howe, Dean of the Music School, encouraged seven young women at the school to form a sorority. Alpha Chi Omega has been strongly associated with music since its founding but was not strictly a musical sorority. In 1900, the sorority added literary qualifications for membership, and Alpha Chi Omega is considered a social rather than professional sorority. Alpha Chi Omega joined the National Panhellenic Conference in 1903. Currently, there are 193 chapters across the United States.
Alpha Chi Omega was originally Alpha Kai Omega, meaning "beginning and end," but later the word "Kai" was changed to the Greek letter Chi. The sorority's motto is "Together let us seek the heights." Alpha Chi Omega's official symbol is a three-stringed lyre. It's flower is the red carnation, and the sorority's colors are scarlet red and olive green.
The Delta Upsilon chapter of Alpha Chi Omega was founded at Colorado State University on October 15, 1965, as the 101st national chapter. Colonizer Carol Newton led twenty-nine colony members in obtaining Delta Upsilon's charter. The first pledge class included twenty-eight women. The sorority lived at 1349 South College until they moved to 708 City Park Avenue in 1966. The Delta Upsilon chapter surrendered its charter on October 14, 1998. The sorority's homecoming float, shared with fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha, had angered many people following the attack on University of Wyoming student Matthew Shepard. Alpha Chi Omega was reinstated in 2003 but is no longer a recognized sorority at CSU.
1.5 linear feet + 2.22 GB (1 record carton)
Language of Materials
Alpha Chi Omega, founded on October 15, 1885, at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, is a social sorority dedicated to advancing "the intellectual, social and moral culture" of its members. Delta Upsilon chapter of Alpha Chi Omega was initiated at Colorado State University on October 15, 1965, as the 101st national chapter. The collection documents some of the social activities of the chapter and consists primarily of digital images of composites and scrapbooks, though other photographs, certificates, and plaques are also present.
Arrangement is by material type. The collection consists of 2 series in one box:
Series 1: Scrapbooks, c.1970-1995
Series 2: Composites, photographs, and plaques, 1966-1999
Records of the Alpha Chi Omega Sorority was donated to Colorado State University Archives by Delta Upsilon chapter alumna Martha Osecky on February 5, 2015.
Some materials have been photographed and are available through the Colorado State University Libraries website.
Twenty-three composites affected by mold were photographed and disposed of in 2015. Certificates were removed from frames, and large artifacts were discarded in November 2018. Scrapbooks affected by mold were assessed in November 2018. All scrapbooks were photographed and disposed of in March 2020.
- Guide to the Records of the Alpha Chi Omega Sorority
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Clarissa J. Trapp
- Copyright 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA