Records of Housing and Dining Services
Scope and Contents
The Records of Housing and Dining Services consists of documents dated 1967 to 2002, with the bulk falling from 1982 to 1997. The records consist of photographs, slides, and reports that document housing and dining services on the Colorado State University campus.
- Creation: 1967-2002
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1982-1997
- Colorado State University. Housing and Dining Services (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
Housing and Dining Services at Colorado State University provides and organizes services for students who live in on-campus housing or purchase meal plans. The first dormitory on campus opened in 1881, with female students and the dining hall on the main floor, and the male students on the upper floor. In 1885, the dormitory was designated for female students only; male students lived off campus in approved housing. The following year, the situation switched with male students occupying the dorm and female students living off campus. In 1893, the on-campus dormitory was re-purposed and all students were living in approved off-campus housing.
In 1937, the State Board of Agriculture approved funding for a women's dormitory, Rockwell Hall, to be constructed, the first on-campus student housing since the closure of the dormitory building in 1893. Braiden Hall, a dormitory for men, was completed in 1948. In 1945, a significant increase in student enrollment of returning veterans and other new students highlighted the lack of available student housing both on campus and in the Fort Collins community. Temporary housing of quonset huts was added for student veterans (known as Veterans' Village), a men's dormitory, later known as South Hall, was quickly constructed, the Field House was turned into a men's dormitory, and a trailer court was allowed next to the Veterans' Village. In 1950 the government enacted Public Law 475 or the College Housing Program that allowed colleges and universities to obtain long-term federal loans at low interest rates for building dormitories, dining halls, and student unions. With federal funding available, President William Morgan established a campus plan that saw the building of dormitories as well as athletic facilities on the west end of campus. Construction began on new residence halls and temporary housing such as the Veterans' Village and the trailer court were phased out. Current on-campus housing includes eleven residence halls and the academic village, along with seven dining halls.
1.5 linear feet (1 record carton)
Language of Materials
Housing and Dining Services at Colorado State University provides and organizes services to students who are living in the residence halls or who purchase meal plans. The records pertain to housing facilities, dining facilities, and related programs, and include photographs, slides, budgets, and reports.
The collection consists of 2 series in 1 record carton:
Series 1: Reports, 1973-1997
Series 2: Media, 1967-2002 and undated
The Records of Housing and Dining Services was acquired from Marianne Provenza and Jean West from Housing and Dining Services in 2008 and 2009. Additional materials were acquired in 2011.
Processing was completed in October 2015. Materials were rehoused in acid-free folders and an archival box. Paperclips and easily removed metal fasteners were removed.
- Guide to the Records of Housing and Dining Services
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Sarah Lillis
- Copyright 2015
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA