Records of the Denver Agricultural and Livestock Club
Scope and Contents
The records of the Denver Agricultural and Livestock Club are dated from 1946 to 1979, with the bulk of material falling from 1969 to 1979. The collection includes organizational documents and history, financial records, membership directories, membership applications and dues, correspondence, meeting minutes, and other materials documenting the club's activities. The collection illuminates the importance of agriculture to the Colorado economy and reveals the need for creating awareness among urban dwellers about the significance of agriculture. Club sponsored guest speakers reveal key topics in agriculture during the 1970s, offering insights into farming and ranching issues and problems.
- Majority of material found within 1969-1978
- Denver Agricultural and Livestock Club (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Not all of the material in the collection is in the public domain. Researchers are responsible for addressing copyright issues.
The Denver Agricultural and Livestock Club seeks to promote the importance of agriculture, especially in urban areas, in order to create awareness of the significance of the agriculture in Colorado, and functions as a forum for discussion and education about current issues in American and world agriculture. The Club cooperates with state, city, and regional agricultural organizations and has joined with the Denver Chamber of Commerce, Colorado State University, and other agencies in several cooperative endeavors for the betterment of Colorado communities. The organization is open to farmers, ranchers, educators, business people, government officials, and others who are interested in occupations which contribute to the agricultural economy of Colorado.
The Club was founded in 1946 under the name of the Denver Agricultural Club as the result of an informal meeting called by A.K. "Ace" Hepperly, an agricultural agent for the CB&Q Railroad. World War II had brought considerable attention to food as a war commodity and as a key factor influencing the terms of postwar peace. This attention illuminated the importance of American agriculture, particularly its social and economic value. Increasing awareness of the role of agriculture created a perfect situation for creating an organization that would meet regularly to discuss problems and exchange ideas concerning agriculture. The informal meeting called by Mr. Hepperly was attended by Jim White, P.K. Yonge, Harley Renollet, Willard Simms, and Jim Godard, and the first official meeting of the Denver Agricultural Club occurred on February 3, 1947. Jim White, editor of Western Farm Life, became the first president of the organization in 1947. In 1949, the Club underwent a name change to become the Denver Agricultural and Livestock Club. On April 29, 1958, the Club was incorporated under the laws of the State of Colorado.
Early objectives of the Club included fostering programs such as 4-H Club, Future Farmers of America (FFA), vocational agricultural projects, and the National Western Stock Show, including the Catch-It-Calf contest and FFA heifer wrangle for local youth interested in agriculture. In later years, the Club provided scholarships for agricultural students and, in conjunction with Colorado State University, has given awards for outstanding sugar beet growers and corn producers. The Club continues to support such endeavors, as well as discuss current agriculture issues and problems.
1 linear foot (2 document cases)
Language of Materials
Founded in 1946, the Denver Agricultural and Livestock Club actively fosters agricultural programs such as the 4-H Club, Future Farmers of America, the National Western Stock Show, scholarships, and local agricultural events. The objective of the Club is to foster closer relationships and acquaintances among individuals living in and around Denver interested in the field of agriculture and to promote agricultural and livestock projects. Collection materials include minutes, correspondence, financial statements, and membership directories.
The collection consists of two document cases. The records were originally arranged by categories, including financial and business records, membership records, club activities, and correspondence and minutes. This original order was adhered to, except meeting minutes and correspondence have been grouped together for clarity. Information in folders has been arranged chronologically by the processor.
The Records of the Denver Agricultural and Livestock Club was acquired by James E. Hansen for the Colorado Agricultural Records Project in 1981 as part of the Colorado Agricultural Archive, and was transferred to the Colorado State University Libraries in February 2004.
Processing was completed in March 2005. The materials were placed in acid-free folders and reboxed, and metal fasteners were removed. Some material was rearranged because different types of materials were grouped together under one heading, most often correspondence and meeting minutes. A few items, such as duplicate membership forms, blank forms and questionnaires, bank statements, cancelled checks, and membership receipt books were weeded due to irrelevance or duplication of information. Photographs accompanying correspondence were sleeved and are stored together in one folder.
- Guide to the Records of the Denver Agricultural and Livestock Club
- Edited Full Draft
- Prepared by Kate Legg
- Copyright 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the CSU Libraries Archives & Special Collections Repository
Fort Collins Colorado 80523-1019 USA